Friday, December 2, 2011

Kobe Bryant's Golden Opportunity, LSU-Bama and Picks of the Week

My shorties will get the best-ever Christmas presents. Why, you ask? If my kids get great gifts, they will be occupied for the day. If they're occupied for the day, then daddy gets to watch the return of the NBA season, which starts on this glorious day (better known for the birth of Christ), all the while drinking vast amounts of spiced eggnog and eating x-mas cookies.

Hooray, hooray. I was in serious doubt that this was going to happen this season, but the players put their pride aside and took a lesser deal, which in the long term will benefit them - now they are getting paid money they were never going to make back. I wasn't sure if this was just a rumor, so I did a little research, and all of the major malls where NBA teams play have acknowledged that giant hoop earrings, tight dresses and condoms with holes in them are flying off the shelves, which means those gold digging groupies are preparing for something.

This benefits me because not only do I get the satisfaction of not having to settle for the watered-down product which is college basketball, but I also do some of my best odds-making on NBA games, having once hit a 7-team parlay and several 5-teamers for sure.

The only person that benefits from the return of the NBA more than me is Kobe Bryant. A 66-game season is perfect for the Black Mamba. This is exactly what a 14-year veteran with playoff grind after playoff grind needs...a break. A non-season would not have nearly affected any other stars in the NBA. Lebron hasn't even reached his prime yet. Kobe is now playing for his legacy and that's it. If Kobe can sneak in another championship, it will put him in top 5 consideration - he's already firmly top 10. (I got him at #9 for those who want to know). Plus, he gets to do something that MJ never did - win a title without Phil Jackson.

Kobe should have fresher legs than he's had in some time, and you know he wants to win without Phil almost as much as he wanted to win without Shaq, He is keenly aware that he needs one more victory to tie MJ in titles, and this is his best year to do it. The downside is that Kobe Bryant is crazy, and without Buddhism to tame him and Ron Artest, it will be a tall order to bring back the hardware.

I don't think there is anyone better than Alabama other than LSU, but if they didn't play in the BCS championship, I would accept it without much complaint because often the two best teams in the country don't play each other for the title. Look at the Super Bowl, when sometimes the two best teams are in the same conference, and they don't get the chance to play each other...er, well that's because they have a playoff system, and the losing team lost the right to play in the Super Bowl, while the college system doesn't have a playoff. It IS designed for the two best teams to play in the title game, not the two hottest teams, which is why they have a highly complex voting system to ensure that. I just talked myself out of that one. LSU and Bama SHOULD play each other for the title.

Last week I went 4-3. Still hovering over the .500 mark, so I'm not exactly losing anybody money unless you only play parlay cards. If so... stop it!

Bears-7 over KC - This is the kind of game where the Bears win by 21, trust me!

Green Bay-6.5 over - The Giants can't get out of the way of themselves and don't expect the Packers to stumble here.

Jets-3 over the 'Skins - Rex Grossman's Kryptonite is really good cornerbacks, and guess who has those?

Patriots-20 over Indy - This spread can't be high enough for me to not take this one.

Bonus
Cincy-9.5 over UConn
LSU-13.5 over Georgia

Dueces!





No comments:

Post a Comment