Friday, January 13, 2012

Black Mamba, Roll Tide and NFL playoffs

This is a true definition of an X factor. I remember when Jordan retired and a NBA beat writer was talking with him after dinner. The Beat writer said that Jordan mentioned 1 of the reasons he retired was because of the triple post offense that Phil Jackson installed during the Bulls championship runs. The offense, Jordan stated, was basically too restrictive for his offensive game, never mind that they won 6 championships with the triangle offense, MJ was tired of curtailing his game. I honestly don't have an opinion of that either way, MJ is by far the greatest team player I have ever saw and I know that his ego is an entity unto itself. So it's not surprising that he thinks that way.

Now fast forward to Kobe Bryant, who in his 16th year in the league just went back to back 40 points. You know what offense Kobe played in last year and previous years?... the Triangle!!! No one can argue that it's not successful, I mean the offense was part of 11 championships in the last 20 years, but the offense is naturally restrictive cause it's predicated on sharing the rock. Now that Kobe is playing on a more traditional NBA offense he can shoot as much as he likes. I don't believe this will win the Lakers a championship but it is a "hey I know you guys are all about LeBron, Rose, DWade, Durant, etc. but Im about to lead the league in scoring and there ain't sh*t you can do about it". When analyzing Kobe we all acknowledged that the Triangle offense in all it's Zen Glory improved Kobe the team player but we didn't take into account how it held back the Black Mamba. So when most thought, including I, that Kobe's game was starting to slip, we didn't take into account that he would no longer be shackled under the triangle offense, and that my friend is the proverbial X factor. So whenever a Laker game is on this year, I suggest you appreciate the second greatest offensive skill set to ever lace them up.

I was wayyy off on the 'Bama/LSU game. I know that Crimson tide defense is great but it seemed as though LSU took there 35 days off and said we beat them once, stay the course and we'll do it again. They looked like a 23rd ranked team as to opposed to an undefeated juggernaut. Kudos to Nick Saban who has just cemented his legacy as an all time great COLLEGE COACH (This does not however, erase my memory of Saban for his time spent as the Miami Dolphins coach)

I know Oklahoma State is thinking we would have scored some points if we were playing in the BCS championship. 'We may not have won but it would have been a great game for college football fans to watch'. Yeah except that you lost to a under .500 team in Iowa State and for that you are not forgiven. I know Christmas passed 3 weeks ago but I really hope santa swings around and adds 1 playoff game to the BCS. This would clear up a lot of mess. Im just saying... for years now... Im still saying.

Hey did anyone notice that I picked all 4 NFL playoff games right last week? I did. This week will be more difficult, but Im sticking with my original picks. If Tebow beats Brady this week I believe the Mayan prediction, that the end of civilization in december of this year will come true, but right before it does Tebow will walk up to a massive tidal wave, kneel down and pray and the tidal wave will stop just like Neo did with those bullets at the end of the 1st Matrix.

Patriots roll 41-17
San Fran +3.5 over New Orleans you gotta trust me on this, this is a New Orleans match-up nightmare
Houston +7.5 over Baltimore Ravens win but it's hard for me to think they are a TD better than anybody with that mess of an offense
Giants +8 over Green Bay Gulp! I was all Giants earlier this week but the fact that everyone is jumping on the Giants bandwagon makes me think how can a SB champion, that went 15-1 be so easily over looked, still I take the Giants 31-28.

Dueces!

No comments:

Post a Comment