Monday, November 12, 2012

Why I cared about this election

Well the election has been over for a week now and I have had time to reflect. Reflect mostly on the fact of why I cared so much about this election, even more so than 2008. It is really simple for me, it's cause Barack Obama is black, very little to do with his policies or Romney policies. That maybe hard for people to hear but it's true. If Hillary Clinton was president it wouldn't mean much to me. I'm not a political guy, I believe both parties are flawed, as I listened to the second debate and each candidate gave their logic on balancing the budget. I knew that each of those strategies would not work as they were related to the American people. Romney's math didn't add up and Obama can't use BORROWED money from the wars to pay off our debt. Blah, blah I kid that I am a libertarian trapped in a democrats body. But still...

For A LOT of black people, the only black president we thought we would ever have, is the one from the movie Deep Impact and the brother from the TV show 24, but then Barack Obama came along. Now this may not has been as prideful as the birth of our children or even as prideful as my favorite team (Da Bears) winning the super bowl, but it's up there, waaayyyy up there. There in lies the problem, we as a black community had. Not enough and definitely not enough of people with influence from the right side said the right things.

If more of the right people would have said (this is a generalization speech) ' Look we think it's great that we finally got an African American as president, it shows the diversity and the changing times of America and we disagree and nor will we seek out the vote that has any racial undertones toward him, President Obama has worked hard to get this country right, we are just strongly against his view on how this country should be recovered, [case in point, case in point, etc...]' Instead the 1st 2 years were spent with asking for his birth certificate and this was followed up with racially insensitive slogans of "take back our country".  When you have the nations 1st black president and a overwhelming white majority of a group of people say we need to take back our country, it can't nor it SHOULDN'T be viewed as anything but racially insensitive. If you want to lead this country you need to be respectful to all including the other 47%

I never cared about Romney's 47% comment, I thought it would hurt him but I wasn't offended. However, Donald Trump has led the charge with the birth certificate movement, he also was a supporter of the Take Back our Country motto. Mitt Romney flew in personally to receive Donald Trump's endorsement. I have a problem with that!!! A lot of republicans who are not racist at all, hate Barack and I don't have a problem with it, but if you are also going to ignore clear racially insensitive things being said and done just to secure right wing support, then you may not be part of the problem, but you are definitely not the solution. A lot of people that has never been judged by the color of their skin, nor has judged people by the color of their skin can relate to this blog. I don't get upset when people don't support our President, I get bothered when they don't understand why I support him

Even if I believed that Barack had the worse policies ever, but then I saw a picture of him being hung in effigy, or people calling him ignorant or dumb or unqualified. That will take precedent over any of his politics. If you have a kid and he/she played sports and someone came up to you and said that your kid is a piece of shit, even if you thought your kid was bad at sports, you would be pissed to hear something like that said, and naturally you would defend them. That's how a lot of the black community sees it, all we're doing is protecting our own. By protecting, I mean we are demanding that he gets shown the same respect you showed for George Bush Jr., who left this country in a bad way.

People will say whatever it is they want to say, especially on sites like FaceBook, when my college buddies post how dumb people are for supporting Barack, or others post like "Time to take out the trash"on election day, it resonates with people who have much more at stake in this than just politics.
When Barack won this last tuesday, I was excited but I never thought to post anything on FB or any other social media about it. It's not sports, I'm not trying to rub this in anyone's face. The course our country is taking is very serious business to a lot of people, so I'm not gonna be insensitive to how other people feel. I have a lot of republican friends and a ton more democratic friends on fb because comics are GENERALLY more liberal and minorities are as well. That being said there was venom being spewed on FB ON BOTHSIDES. It's so easy for people to say what ever it is they want to say and not be held accountable for it. Such is life I guess

Not once in this blog have I openly endorsed any of our president's policies. It's not about that, this was written for the general lack of respect we have shown each other over these last 4 years. Points don't have to be driven home with such derogatory language, take the high road, it's not sports. And speaking of sports, the packers can go fuck themselves... Go Bears!!! :)

Heat -5
Denver o 201.5
Portland -2.5

Now I feel better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment